jueves, 23 de junio de 2022

Kindly English grammar reminders (and other notes)

If I were rich...<-- I am not rich, but I imagining what I would do if I were.
"I were" is called the subjunctive mood, and is used when you're are talking about something that isn't true or when you wish something was true.
If she was feeling sick...<-- It is possible or probable that she was feeling sick.
"I was" is for things that could have happened in the past or now.

"That said" is an appropriate truncation of "that having been said", which is correct in that the clause refers back to what was just stated in the prior sentence. "That being said" is incorrect since the prior sentence is in the past, and "being said" implies simultaneity.

back and forth. Also, backward(s) and forward(s). To and fro, moving in one direction and then the opposite and so making no progress in either. For example, The clock pendulum swung back and forth. The term is also used figuratively, as in The lawyers argued the point backwards and forwards for an entire week.

In the context of abortion care, conscientious objection is when a health care worker or institution refuses to administer abortion services or information on the grounds of conscience or religious belief. When conscientious objection is not regulated, it can significantly undermine access to abortion services.

We also use help with an object and an infinitive with or without to:
Jack is helping me to tidy my CDs. or Jack is helping me tidy my CDs.
I am writing to thank you for helping us find the right hotel for our holiday. or I am writing to thank you for helping us to find the right hotel for our holiday.
Warning:
We don’t use help with an -ing form:
I am trying to help him look for a new bike.
Not: I am trying to help him looking …

A demonym (/ˈdɛmənɪm/; from Ancient Greek δῆμος (dêmos) 'people, tribe', and ὄνυμα (ónuma) 'name') or gentilic (from Latin gentilis 'of a clan, or gens')[1] is a word that identifies a group of people (inhabitants, residents, natives) in relation to a particular place.

A pub crawl (sometimes called a bar tour, bar crawl or bar-hopping) is the act of visiting multiple pubs or bars in a single session.

never been to a wedding, did some emails, im writing to you, What difference does that make?, candid shot, what's the weather like today, can you see so well, five seconds of moment of silence, proud in you, marshalling, capital E for extrovert
one another, ubuntu: I am because you are, I walk to work, I go to work on foot, Where do they do the potty?, How many relationships have you been in?; Yeah, I mean on my remaining days; I don't think it showed, whose panties are those? do it for you, don't do it for anybody else, Don't microdose on love, don't put dirty diapers in here, i got a haircut; when the snow blankets the city, what do we call mom in Spanish? what does she call dad in Spanish?

Is ain't a word? Absolutely. Ain't is a perfectly valid word, but today, ain't is considered nonstandard. At worst, it gets stigmatized for being “ignorant” or “low-class.” At best, it's considered a no-no in formal writing.

the negative aspect of something otherwise regarded as good or desirable.
"he says being a rock star is a fun line of work when you're young, but admits fame can have its downsides.

A hyphen (-) is a punctuation mark that's used to join words or parts of words. It's not interchangeable with other types of dashes. A dash is longer than a hyphen and is commonly used to indicate a range or a pause. The most common types of dashes are the en dash (–) and the em dash (—).

When used as a verb, 'approach' takes no preposition. He approached me.

Knit and knitted are both conjugation of the same verb: knit is the present and future tense form, and knitted is the past tense form.

to start off: phrasal verb of start, begin to travel or move. "we started off on our journey" begin to operate or do something or to happen. "treatment should start off with attention to diet".

When it comes to dates, you can use in or on depending on the context. If referring to years, months, centuries or long periods, use in. However, when referring to dates or days, use on.

Senior Member. You can use them both at once: "I'm thankful to you for your help." "For" is used in reference to what you have been given or what has been done for you. "To" is used in reference to the person who gave or did that thing for you.

If you are referring to the content of the book then it is, "IN THE BOOK”. If you are referring to particular page then it is “ON THE BOOK".

Whom should be used to refer to the object of a verb or preposition. When in doubt, try this simple trick: If you can replace the word with “he”’ or “’she,” use who. If you can replace it with “him” or “her,” use whom.

she married my mad, she was married to my dad, I'm getting married to, she divorced my dad

To dwell in a home is to live in it. To dwell on something — usually something bad, like a failed romance or terrible service in a restaurant — is to think or speak about it at great length.

HEYO is a slang term which means "Hey You." It is used as a greeting, similar to "Hi" or "Hello." "Hey You" is also abbreviated as AYO, EYO, and HEYY. HEYO stands for Hello.

I wanna try this poem out. The south is the farthest I know. Evens you out. Does anyone know...? Messages to myself. Up and ready. She keeps bailing. Peacekeeper. She goes hard. May I ask you a question? Would you be so kind and leave me alone?

María: Despite the age, late at night, heat the food up, they're movers.

Lovely words and expressions: bedmate, I love being gay, I insist on paying, I straighten my hair, this is communal, every angle sees well, urband legend, no question mark, we are the voices of the women who don't have one anymore, there are four of us in my family ("the ten"),

Open to all vs open for all. A complete search of the internet has found these results: open to all is the most popular phrase on the web. "I'm open for" essentially means I'm available for. "I'm open to" means that I'm receptive to.

Shade can refer to any dark area in which sunlight or other bright light is blocked. Shadow refers to the dark shape that appears on a surface when an object blocks sunlight or other light.

Touch base is an idiom often seen in business contexts meaning to make contact or reconnect with someone briefly, as in "let's touch base next week." The phrase is thought to have some relation to baseball where both runner and fielders have to "touch base" in order to be safe or record an out.

Living in the present moment means letting go of the past and not waiting for the future.

Notes on "Mija," the movie:
Huge thanks, elements, welcome up!, this is very surreal, full circle moment, I time traveled this moment, I wanna thank to, I wanna thank you, incredible amount of courage, go tell your friends, my music became my sanctuary, the way we always wanted to, meltdown, I got burned, What are you thankful for, hyper aware, if you get emo, What else am I not informed of?, hiccup, reasons below, we wanted different things, change hurts, growing pains, What's next for you?, I'm so embarrassed, I just wanna disappear, I need to figure out what my next move is, drop by, to honor their sacrifices, he mentioned to me, this is good news, I don't want to interrupt but, your shirt is cute, palm trees, you started off with nothing, am I allowed?, I have so much work to do right now, I'm forever grateful, anything is possible.


I'm collecting down all the info I get when googling solutions to my grammar issues.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario