martes, 23 de agosto de 2022

Poem to Take the Belt Out of My Dad’s Hands, poem by José Olivarez translated from English by Arelis Uribe

Poem to Take the Belt Out of My Dad’s Hands

in this story, he is wearing the belt instead of bringing it down. my ass
stays soft. my head hard. in this story, the belt hangs in his closet. i snatch
it & bury it. in this story, the belt acts alone. it is not his hands. he is
watching TV. SportsCenter or whatever. he would stop the belt if he could.
in this story, i grab the belt & beat myself with it—in this story, it is my
own hands. his hands stay innocent. i stand above myself and it is for my
own good. in this story, i bury the leather belt in a cement coffin. i eat a
whole cow and wear the skin like a luxurious silk. in this story, i am wait-
ing for the whip. in this story, i am already crying. in this story, he doesn’t
reach for the belt. the belt is buried. he reaches for my head and rubs it.
soft. he says it’s okay. in this story, there is no but.
this story ends here. my dad. me. still under his hands. still crying.


Poem para quitar la correa de las manos de papá


en esta historia, él se deja la correa puesta en vez de quitársela. mi culo
permanece suave. mi cabeza, dura. en esta historia, la correa cuelga en el clóset.
la robo & la entierro. en esta historia, la correa actúa sola. no son sus manos. él
está viendo tele. SportsCenter o algo así. él detendría a la correa si pudiera.
en esta historia, agarro la correa y me azoto yo mismo—en esta historia, son
mis propias manos. sus manos quedan inocentes. estoy por sobre mí por mi
propio bien. en esta historia, entierro la correa de cuero en un ataúd de concreto.
me devoro una vaca completa y visto su piel como lujosa seda. en esta historia, estoy
esperando el latigazo. en esta historia, ya estoy llorando. en esta historia, él no
toma la correa. la correa está sepultada. él toma mi cabeza y la acaricia.
suavemente. dice que todo está bien. en esta historia, no hay peros.
aquí termina esta historia. mi papá. yo. aún en sus manos. aún llorando.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario